What are the correct procedures for the association to change its rules?
Notice must be provided to the members at least thirty (30) days before the rule change. The notice must include the text of the rule change and a description of the purpose and effect of the rule change. Such advance notice is not required if the board of directors determines that an immediate rule change is necessary to address an imminent threat to public safety or imminent risk of substantial economic loss to the association.
The decision on the proposed rule change must be made at a meeting of the board of directors after consideration of any comments made by association members.
As soon as possible after making a rule change, but not more than fifteen (15) days after making the rule change, the board of directors must deliver notice of the rule change to the association members. An emergency rule change is effective for a maximum time period of 120 days.
See also: Clear Lake Rivera Community Association v. Cramer (2010) 182 Cal. App. 4th 459, where court upheld the association’s rule regarding building heights and Yan Sui v. Price (2011) 196 Cal. App. 4th 933, where rule change concerning inoperable vehicles was upheld.
- What are the election and voting procedures of an association?
- Can Association funds be used for campaign purposes in connection with an association board election?
- What are the correct procedures for the association to change its rules?
- Can the members of an association reverse a rule change by the association?
- What are the requirements for the rules of the association to be valid and enforceable?
- Are meetings of the Board of Directors of an association required to be open to the members?
- Is a member of the association entitled to inspect the books and records of the association?
- Is the seller of a condominium required to make specified disclosures to the buyer relating to the condominium?
- Can the Members of the association extend the term of the CC&R’s?
- Can the Association deny you access to The Association's financial records?